I answered this “25 things” meme a while ago on Facebook, and thought it might be nice to break up the Deep Thoughts I’ve been posting about lately, because I am really quite shallow.
1.I am completely and profoundly addicted to coffee.
2. I desperately need a haircut. I am morphing into Cousin Itt (with Morticia grey streaks.)
3. I have to leave the room during tense moments in sport. Particularly if the Wallabies are playing, and the last World Cup nearly killed me (the football one, not the rugby one.) 90 minutes of tension at 5am is not good for me!
4. I call soccer ‘football’ because I am both a wanker and a wog.
5. When I was a kid I used to go with my Dad to watch KB United play. I used to take my teddy bear dressed in a team scarf and beanie.
6. I am a writer because I love words. Also because I can spend my working day in my pyjamas.
7. I know more about Star Wars than my kids, and I will yell at them if they ask me one more time if “this is the one with the ewoks?”
8. Jar Jar Binks made the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft.
9. That is a quote from Spaced. I love Simon Pegg.
10. I am not a geek. I swear.
11. OK – maybe I am – a little bit.
12. Apart from a year in Germany, I have lived my whole life in the zone of my archnemesis, the Sydney Funnel Web spider.They are found from Nowra (where I was born) to Newcastle (where I grew up and live now.) I swear they’re after me!
13. I sincerely believe that my extreme arachnophobia comes from watching the Dr Who “Planet of the Spiders” episode as a kid.
14. “People are Stupid” is my mantra. Seriously, once you accept this, life gets much easier.
15. Frangipanis used to be my favourite flower until everyone started sticking them on their damn cars.
16. I am a little bit jealous that our cats like my daughter more than me, but I have come to accept that she has the Kavorka for cats.
17. The dog likes me though.
18. The dog also likes random strangers and sniffing other dogs’ butts, so I am finding little solace in this fact.
19. My Arts degree means that I can answer all the brown questions in Trivial Pursuit. That was four years well spent, yes?
20. My obsession with pop culture means I am also quite good at pink questions, and having once worked in travel helps with the blue. Tony is good at Sport and Science. If we just learn some history and politics we’d be the perfect team.
21. Sometimes I think with our Mad Trivia Skillz, we should quit work and just do the pub trivia circuit. Except we both find it hard to focus on anything other than beer while in a pub.
22. I would rather have a good gin and tonic (Bombay Sapphire and Schweppes Tonic water) than any fancy cocktail.
23. I am a literary snob who not-so-secretly loves reading chick lit. This is because all the worthy literature is so damn depressing. Kind of like the Best Picture Nominees at the Oscars.
24. My kids are quite possibly the funniest, cleverest, sweetest children that ever lived. I know every mum thinks that, but it’s TRUE!
25. And some mornings I would still trade them in for a really good cup of coffee.